Good planning and organisation is essential when putting on an event that is both safe and enjoyable. For many events all that you need to do is to follow a few basic steps.
As an event organiser you have a duty to plan, manage and monitor your event to make sure that workers and the visiting public are not exposed to health and safety risks.
It doesn't have to be complicated! The level of detail in your planning should be scaled to the size of your event and the degree of risk.
To help you to determine what resources and facilities will be required you need to assess the risks and work out the
- scale, type and scope of your event
- type and size of audience
- duration of the event
- time of day and year the event will be held
Whatever the scale of your event, make sure there is a clear understanding within your team. Involving your staff in the event planning phase is the best way to protect your employees and visitors from harm and illness as is liaising with the venue owner/manager, emergency services and the local authority as appropriate.
If you are going to be using contractors you should consider their suitability and competence for providing a safe and reliable service.
- Here's a checklist that you may find useful when planning your event.
- Have you decided who will help you with your duties?
- Is there a clear understanding within the organising team of who will be responsible for safety matters?
- Have you risk assessed your event and prepared a safety plan?
- Did you involve your workers during the planning of your event?
- Did you liaise with other agencies?
- Have you gathered and assessed relevant information to help you determine whether you have selected suitable and competent contractors?
- Have you provided the right workplace facilities?
- Have you planned for incidents and emergencies?
For information and advice about insuring your event please contact Nigel Kennedy on 07951 120328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rees Astley Office
- Address: Mostyn House, Market Street, Newtown, Powys, SY16 2PQ
- Phone: 01686 626019
- Email: email@example.com